Sunday, June 08, 2008

Why I send my children to bible camp

I remember when I was a kid whenever I saw a sign that said "Vacation Bible School," I thought to myself, "What the hell is vacation bible school? I don't think that would be much of a vacation." But I grew up Catholic, and Catholics DO NOT have vacation bible school. We don't really read the bible either. I always thought Vacation Bible School was only done by those "weird religions." Everyone was catholic where I grew up, so pretty much anything not catholic was a weird religion to me.
So why do I send my children to Vacation Bible School? Well, for one I realized that just because somebody believes different things than I do and worships in a different way doesn't make it a weird religion. And I also realized that vacation bible school could be fun. They don't actually sit around and read the bible (which is what I thought they did when I was a kid). The one my kids go to has giant inflatables and on the last day of a the camp, there is a huge water fight. A firetruck actually shows up! And it teaches the kids about being a good person.
And HELLO! here's the best part: Free daycare from 9 to noon!

No comments: