Monday, June 09, 2008

A crash course in teaching your kid to ride a bike

My 4-year-old just learned to ride a bike about a week ago. He's got the riding down, but he's still working on braking and stopping. Today we rode up to the park where we had to navigate a pretty steep hill. I told him that I would get off my bike and run along side of him. He said, "No. You can wait at the bottom of the hill in case I need help stopping." I don't know why I took the advice of a 4-year-old, but I did.
He started down the hill pedaling ... and not using his brakes. So he's barreling toward me going about 20 mph with a "Holy Shit!" look on his face, and I'm yelling, "Hit your brakes! Hit your brakes!" He didn't ... and I'm thinking at this point if he hit his brakes, he would probably hurtle over the handlebars. I'm also thinking, "Oh crap! This is going to hurt ... someone!" So as any good mother would do, I took the brunt of it. My front shin stopped his bike. It tipped over with him on it, but aside from a small scrape on his knee, he was fine. A nice man on the bike trail asked if he was OK. And I'm like, Yeah, he's fine ... my shin on the other hand ... is still hurting 8 hours later.
He did get right back on his bike though. And managed to give me one other heart-attack moment when he went barreling down a slight incline. You think I would have learned my lesson the first time.

No comments: