Monday, June 16, 2008

Disney World ... is it really a vacation

A friend of mine recently went to Disney with her two kids. When she got back, I asked her how her trip went.
Her: It was horrible. We fought the whole time. The kids wanted to go back to the HOTEL POOL! after riding two rides the first day ...
Me: You actually thought going to Disney was going to be a vacation. I could have told you otherwise.

When we went to Disney for the first time, my oldest son was around 3. We were waiting in line for the Dumbo ride. My son was actually behaving -- for the moment -- while waiting in line for 45 minutes in the scorching heat to go on a ride that last around 1.2 seconds. I looked behind me and sasw some 10-year-old kid having a major temper-tantrum meltdown. I looked ahead of me and saw a young child having a major meltdown. I looked at my husband and said, "The happiest place on earth!" We both just laughed.

Don't get me wrong there have been some "magic" moments. After my oldest son rode Space Mountain for the first time, he said, "Mom, were we really flying?" He seriously thought we had left the roller coaster and were flying. Too cute!
And the look on their face when they see some of the characters walking around, is pretty priceless. Though that leads me to one of my other pet peeves about Disney. What is with the autograph books! Is it really that important to get "Mickey's" autograph. Hello, it's a guy dressed in a mouse suit! Some advice: The lines would move much faster if you just took your picture and moved on.

No comments: